Are You Right for Driver Ed?
Teaching with Driver Ed is a special calling. ODOT-approved teaching programs require all Driver Ed instructors
to meet the following criteria.
Individuals employed by a commercial driving school may be subject to additional requirements.
- Hold a valid Oregon driver license, or a license from a state adjacent to Oregon if the person is a legal resident of that state and has had valid driving privileges for at least three years.
- Be 21 years of age.
- Have current First Aid & CPR certification.
- Meet these driving record qualifications:
- Not more than one driver impairment violation within the preceding 12 months or more than two within the preceding 24 months.
- No drug or alcohol-related traffic violation, conviction or infraction within the preceding five years.
- No driver's license suspension, cancellation, revocation or denial within the preceding three years.
- Have no conviction for any of the crimes listed in OAR 737-015-0070.
- Complete a minimum of 15 hours of continuing education every two years.
- Teach a minimum of 30-hours in an ODOT-approved program every two years.